June 24, 2013

Uncle Alfred




Big Hickory Island, south of Lovers Key, available by boat. A lovely, rather forsaken spot, which we nicknamed Uncle Alfred, We were talking about somebody in the news who was under the weather, and I started quoting Ruth Draper… 

“I’m so worried about Alfred. Have you seen Alfred? Poor old Alfred. I don’t think Alfred is with us for long. (Sigh) I’m gonna miss Alfred terribly, you know I was very fond of… Oh I know he’s not dead yet, but you wait, my dear, you wait and see if I’m not right. And I know that my doctor could cure him. And I told Lola I knew my doctor could cure him. And she’s not. even. interested. Well, she likes her doctor. People are so queer.” 

Then Will misquoted, singing, “We’re so sorry… Uncle Alfred…”  Then we decided to bury Uncle Alfred on the island. Where he was always so happy. Now our visits there are cloaked in argot. Let’s go see Uncle Alfred…









Labels

DIVE IN...