June 29, 2012

Correspondence / 5


It rains almost daily now, as is the tropical way come May. There's even a "storm statement" at the
bottom of the TV screen as we speak. I think a "statement" is just below a "watch" but above an
"intimation."

Tomaters, yes!  Can't live without them, and can't live without them. A couple of my neighbors grow
them out back. I think one of them is what is called an "heirloom." The tomato, not the neighbor. We
try and get them before the birds do. The tomatoes, not the neighbors. I like the "Campari" ones at the
farmer's market, sweet scarlet ping-pong balls, sliced in thirds, for my salad.

We're treating my face, one side at a time, for solar keratosis. My skin is not as Mediterranean as I
thought. It's a kind of chemical burn that makes me feel like the Phantom of the Opera, with leprosy,
but without the mask. I was reluctant to go out in public at first - but screw that. Then I was amazed at
how friendly everyone was! Extra friendly. As if I were the victim of a tragic accident. It doesn't hurt
much - but when it starts to heal there's a weird itch, as if a very fine hair or strand of a spider web was
drifting across my face. Maddening. After it all peels off you get brand new skin... looks pretty good.
I wear a hat now.

How come I have to read K.C.'s blog to know you went zip lining in Mexico? I admire her recipe for
world peace - mostly because she didn't shy away from those piquant ingredients. Smart cookie.  

Friends and neighbors are away - I've been hitching up my hammock by the river, casting in a line, or
just reading or thinking. It's not easy to leave. I think to myself - OK, it's getting late, and I have to
stop for tomatoes on the way home... and then I don't move.

Some insects, yes. God does seem "inordinately fond of beetles," as my favorite theologian once
observed. I'm crazy about fireflies, and lots of others have striking colors and designs. The Japanese
keep katydids in little bamboo cages - for their chirps. I'm not finding any love in my heart for
mosquitos, though. What are they for?

Snore Wife is in my queue at Netflix. I did see Prometheus on Monday. The 3D was ravishing in the
opening scenes of the film, but like everything else about the movie it too soon bogged down in the
ponderous story and flat, predictable characters.The striking ensemble dynamic and quirky characters
that were so engaging and innovative in Alien were not there. It was rather transporting, though.
Stepping out of the overly-cooled theater, it was good to be back on earth in the warmth of the
setting sun, surrounded by ordinary traffic and familiar shops. I kinda like life on earth, don't yeux?



Labels

DIVE IN...